DIY Home Energy Audit
Questions you may want to ask if your are doing your own energy audit include:
1. How old is my HVAC system?
2. Do I have any incandescent lights left in the house?
3. How old are my appliances and are any of them Energy Star certified?
4. What is the R-value of my attic insulation? Do I even have attic insulation?
5. Can I see outside light coming in through the edges of my exterior doors?
6. Does air leak through my windows and/or exterior doors and cause drafts?
8. Do some rooms get cooler or hotter than others?
9. Is my thermostat right under a vent?
10. Do I have double pane, or Energy Star windows?
A home energy checkup helps owners determine where their house is losing energy and money - and how such problems can be corrected to make the home more energy efficient. A professional technician - often called an energy auditor - can give your home a checkup.