What is Green Building?
As defined by the Environmental Protection agency (EPA), green building - also know as high performance building - is "the practice of creating structures and using processes that are environmentally responsible and resource efficient".
The Benefits of Green Building
- More Comfort: Fewer Drafts, better airflow, and less moisture greatly improve occupant comfort.
- Better Health: cleaner air, less mold, and better building materials create healthier spaces for homeowners.
- Lower Operating Costs: Incorporating high efficiency fixtures and appliances can cut utility bills up to 30%.
- Fewer Problems: a stronger, better build home means less problems down the line for homeowners and fewer headaches for builders.
- Higher Value: high performance features increase home value and the overall lifetime of a home.
- A Better Planet: green buildings conserve natural resources, reduce waste, and protect natural ecosystems.
Some of the key considerations of green buildings include...
- Lot Choice
- Site Development
- Health & Indoor Air Quality
- Disaster Mitigation
- Renewable Energy